- Shaney Clemmons, PLA with MWD
- AUSTIN, TX // Residential
As the landscape architect and project manager of the Balcones House project, Shaney’s pragmatic design solutions, taking standard materials and using them in unexpected, clever ways, helped win Mark Word Design (now WCDG) the American Society of Landscape Architects' 2018 Award of Excellence in Residential Design.
A controlled landscape palette of natural limestone, gravel, raw steel and low maintenance plants offers a calming counterbalance to the bold architecture. Playing with form and volume, the team of designers and client used negative space as the guiding principle for this Austin residence.
Exposing the existing weathered limestone ledge provided a soft break between the flat pool terrace and the grass-filled hillside. This approach was critical in highlighting the natural beauty of the site while meeting the goal of low-water, low-maintenance landscape.
- PROJECT DETAILS
- OVERVIEW: Natural materials provide a calming counterbalance to bold architecture.
- ARCHITECT: Mell Lawrence Architects
- LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT*
- MWD, now WCDG, is the landscape design firm of record and author for the Balcones House project. Shaney Clemmons' role while working at MWD on the Balcones House project was Landscape Architect / Project Manager. Other key members for this project team include Mark Word (Principal and Design Lead), and Rosemary Harris (Plant Design).
- BUILDER: Pilgrim Building Company, MWD
- POOL: Maxa Enterprises
- SIZE: 18,953 SF
- COMPLETION DATE: 2017
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Leonid Furmansky, Cambria Harkey, Caitlin Atkinson